Monday, November 2, 2009

First Week, Check

I'm on my second week of work. It's been an interesting first week to say at the least. I worked 9 hours of overtime on top of 40 hours, packed a kajillion boxes of Yankee Candle products, broke down a million cardboard boxes, assembled billions of boxes, used 1.4 miles of tape, and almost got fired.

Well I might be exaggerating on the last one (and everything else) but a most interesting issue came up last Wednesday in the morning. I was packing boxes with cardboard paper and closing them before sending them off to the shipping department when my supervisor came up to me with these following words. "Hi Alex. An issue has been brought to my attention just now. It appears that it is a requirement for all employees in this facility to be able to respond to pages. Since you are (points to ears), we might have to transfer you over to another facility down the road where it is not a requirement for employees to respond or make a page. I am meeting with my supervisor this morning and we will discuss this. I will keep you posted."

Alright. I didn't say anything after that and as she walked away, I told Steve what she just told me and continued working. A little while later, I realized that I was definitely being discriminated at the workplace. Sweet! I knew that there was no way I would ever transfer over to the other facility, which is where they make the actual candles because of the following reasons,

1. The reason for having me transferred was BS. I can't respond to a page? Well maybe one of the 5 people that I always find myself surrounded with can let me know that someone at the other end of the factory needs help with counting candles. Reasonable adjustments can be made for this "issue."

2. I interviewed for the job, I'm on my 3rd day of training, I'm in a routine, and I requested this position. A few days later, they realize I'm not allowed to work there?

3. I'm going to stand up for myself. If I'm transferred, then it is essentially agreeing with them that deaf people are incapable of doing this kind of work.

I was going to have to be fired before I get transferred. I thought of reasons why they would make this paging issue such a big deal and came up with a few. Maybe they need more workers in the other facility but didn't want to "offend" me by taking away my preferred position and relocating me. That actually would have been okay with me. If they needed extra workers in the other place then sure, relocate me. Not because I can't answer a page.

Steve and I discussed the various ways we would bring up this issue and how we would address it (we hoped to whip out this statement, "the problem is not us, it's YOU!") but the entire thing was resolved in a couple days. My supervisor came up to me and told me that if I needed to page someone, I'd ask someone. And if I got paged, someone would let me know. Ah brilliant idea. However, I have to give them credit. They did resolve this issue within themselves and made the smart decision.

Other than that, everyday has been the same. I worked about 9 hours of overtime, one hour extra three times a week and 6 hours on Saturday. I can't complain, the money is rolling in! I'm scheduled to work 13 hours of overtime this week on top of 40 hours AND I got a call back from Old Navy about working as a shipper. Basically I would be responsible for unloading boxes from delivery trucks into the store and possibly some stocking in the backroom. It's a great second job- I work 4 hours in the morning from 8 to 12 three times a week. I had an interview last Friday with my potential supervisor and it all worked out great. They did ask me why I wanted to work at Old Navy. The honest response would be "Well bub, I just need some frigging money eh?" But of course I gave them the "oh I've come here since I was a Clearasil-using teenager and it was a dream of mine to hold a job here."

I'm expecting a call back soon this week about the training start date. It's all happening, except for that famed desk job I am seeking in DC! The job fair is only 10 days away, better start looking for the proper suit!

I now bid you adieu for I must travel to Yankee Candle to provide exceptional fragrances to people of all around the world.

1 comment:

  1. What'd you guys pack up mostly? Candles? Nutcrackers?

    This blog's top shit. Keep it up guys!

    ReplyDelete